Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Watch NBC TV Shows On Your G1, iPhone or iPod Touch

If you follow any of the iPhone blog sites, you might have read that a Hulu app is in the works.  Well, as much as I like to believe it, I'm not holding my breath either.

However, there is a way to watch some shows from NBC.  Simply point your mobile browser to NBC's mobile site.  It's that easy.

Oh.  You'll have to click the videos tab but that's also easy.  I've caught up with "Kings", watched a few Tonight Show clips with Conan, and looking forward to the Listener and the Office.

Here are a few screen shots that I've taken on my iPod Touch.  Like it said in the title, it works on the G1.  I'm guess that if your smartphone or mobile devices support Webkit and can encode H.264, you're good to go.

So, no waiting for the Hulu app.  I just found out my gym has Wi-Fi access and I can use my iPod Touch or G1 (I don't get signal in all parts of the gym).  Anyway, have fun!

Here are the other mobile links that you can watch videos or full episodes of your favorite TV shows:

  • ABC - you get recaps and "mobile moments".  No full episodes.  Yet, I hope soon though.  Eventually.  It only makes sense that this will become available.
  • NBC - you already know from above.
  • CBS - You do get many full episodes.  If you're use the iPhone or iPod Touch, simply download the "tv.com" app.
Fox Mobile is missing.  Strangely, it's an equal HULU partner with NBC.  Perhaps, that'll come eventually.  CW offers previews, recaps, and some full episodes (like Gossip Girl but not Smallville) so I'm hopefully (though they do welcome you to read summary of each episode).  The curious thing about CW is that it changes the url to "iphone.cwtv.com".  But hey, it also works for the G1.  Who am I to complain?
I'll go through more networks and see if they offer mobile videos with full episodes.  And then I'll tell you!  And if you know anywhere else where mobile warriors can watch videos with their smartphones or mobile devices, drop me a line.

Update:

  • History - offers video clips only.
  • SciFi - offers some video clips.  Not a whole lot.  Some for Stargate Atlantis.  Needs work.  But it didn't work.  But since we're scifi folks, we'll be keeping an eye out on this one.

No comments: